Shreyas Iyer of Mumbai has proved his credentials in the greatest format of the game. After producing two classy knocks , Shreyas did not give anyone a chance in the 1st test to get the player of the match award.
Looking back at Shreyas’ performance, in the first innings India was in a tricky situation at 106/3 , when Shreyas stepped in to play the likes of Jamieson and a seasoned Tim Southee . He showed exemplary temperament and picked the right ball to hit. He lost skipper Rahane at 147/4 . However he never lost his composure and constructed a solid 113 run stand with Jadeja (50) and was finally out for a top quality 105 . India reached 345.
In the second innings India rapidly disintegrated to 51/5 when Iyer, in the middle of an alarming collapse , stayed strong and had a crucial 50 plus partnership with Ashwin (32) and then another invaluable partnership with a gritty Wriddhiman Saha (61*) who batted with a stiff neck . Shreyas was finally dismissed for 65 and thus scored 170 runs in the match and the only debutant to get a 100 & a 50 in the same test .
The biggest a achievement for Shreyas was that he became the 16th Indian to score a century on debut . Here is the full list of 16 centurions .
Batsman Score Opposition
1. Lala Amarnath 118 England (1933)
2. Deepak Shodan 110 Pakistan (1952)
3. AG Kripal Singh 100* New Zealand (1955)
4. Abbas Ali Baig 112 England (1959)
5. Hanumant Singh 105 England (1964)
6. Gundappa Viswanath 137 Australia (1969)
7. Surinder Amarnath 124 New Zealand (1976)
8. Mohammad Azharuddin 110 England (1984)
9. Pravin Amre 103 South Africa (1992)
10. Sourav Ganguly 131 England (1996)
11. Virender Sehwag 105 South Africa (2001)
12. Suresh Raina 120 Sri Lanka (2010)
13. Shikhar Dhawan 187 Australia (2013)
14. Rohit Sharma 127 West Indies (2013)
15. Prithvi Shaw 134 West Indies (2018)
16. Shreyas Iyer 105 New Zealand (2021)
Now it remains to be seen whether Shreyas Iyer keeps his spot in the next test after Virat Kohli returns to the team XI